A Peckham teenager has been convicted alongside a 33-year-old man for the murder of 16-year-old Lathaniel Burrell in Stockwell last March.
The 18-year-old from Peckham and a 33-year-old man from Forest Hill were arrested following the shooting of Lathaniel in the middle of the day on Paradise Road, Stockwell, on March 4 last year.
The Old Bailey heard that 18-year-old Neo Duodu-Watson was riding a stolen moped and had on a distinctive jacket worn by Just Eat delivery riders to avoid arousing suspicion.
Despite suffering catastrophic injuries, Lathaniel was able to run a short distance before collapsing near a fence.
Members of the public rushed to his aid and remained with him until police and paramedics arrived.
Tragically, despite their best efforts, Lathaniel was pronounced dead at the scene.
Meanwhile, Duodu-Watson fled on the moped and met up with 33-year-old Omar Prempeh, who was waiting in a nearby vehicle.
As part of the investigation, detectives from the Met identified an address on Union Road, Stockwell, as a key operational hub used by defendants both before and after the killing.
Inside, officers recovered drugs, ammunition and, crucially, packaging for the delivery rider clothing worn by Duodu-Watson during the shooting. Police said Prempeh and Duodu-Watson were frequent visitors to the flat, using it as a base for drug distribution and planning.
The gunman, Duodu-Watson, was subject to electronic monitoring at the time of the shooting but had removed – and later replaced – his tag so that he appeared to have an alibi. After the attack he wrote lyrics, boasting in a drill track about “winning the beef” and appearing to mock rival gang members in Stockwell.
Lathaniel’s family said: “Nearly a year on and we still cannot believe Lathaniel is gone. He was so beautiful inside and out and our lives will never be the same again.

“Lathaniel touched so many hearts and the pain of his absence is felt every day.
“We pray he receives the justice he deserves.”
Prempeh from Forest Hill was arrested on Friday, 7 March on suspicion of murder and charged with murder on Saturday, 8 March.

Duodu-Watson was arrested on Sunday, 9 March on suspicion of murder and charged with murder on Wednesday, 12 March

The jury were unable to reach a verdict in relation to three other defendants: Jeffrey Frimpong and two teenagers who cannot be named for legal reasons.
A date for a retrial is yet to be confirmed but is expected to commence later this year.
Prempeh and Duodu-Watson will be sentenced following the conclusion of the retrial of the three other defendants.
Detective Chief Inspector Sarah Lee, whose team led the investigation, said: “Our thoughts remain firmly with Lathaniel’s family as they continue to navigate the unimaginable grief of losing a loved one in such a senseless and violent way.
“I am immensely proud of my team, who worked tirelessly and with unwavering dedication to secure today’s outcome. Their meticulous work – analysing CCTV, phone records, social media content, gaming data and vehicle movements – enabled us to construct a minute-by-minute account of the suspects’ actions.
“This case has a deeply troubling element of child exploitation at its core. I hope today’s guilty verdicts demonstrate our commitment to pursuing, arresting and convicting those responsible for such crimes – not only those who pull the trigger.
“I urge anyone with concerns about the exploitation of a friend, family member or neighbour to contact police or Crimestoppers. Our exploitation teams will do everything they can to help. Protecting the children in our communities is everyone’s responsibility.”























