A man has received a life sentence for leaving a woman brain-damaged in a hammer attack near the Old Kent Road.
Joel Victorious, 51, repeatedly struck the woman, who can not be named for legal reasons, to the head which was witnessed by her children.
The victim now struggles with memory loss and severe headaches, said her life had been “irreparably changed” by the brain injury.
Victorious pleaded guilty to attempted murder on July 11, 2024 – two weeks before a trial was due to start at the Old Bailey.
He launched the hammer attack at about 5am on Sunday, October 22 last year.
The blows left the victim with a 5cm laceration and 2cm wound to the head, several skull fractures and a ‘deformity’ to her left wrist, the court heard.
Officers were called to multiple reports from members of the public about the incident and arrived within minutes to find the victim collapsed in the street.
Joel Victorious had chased her into the road and was threatening her with knives.
Officers discovered the victim covered in blood lying on the pavement with life threatening injuries and performed emergency first aid.
The officers also provided life-saving support to Victorious who had stabbed himself during the frenzied incident.
In a victim statement, she said: “This brain injury is not a temporary setback; it is a lifelong condition that I must learn to live with.
“The doctors have told me that some of the damage may be permanent, and while I am undergoing therapy and treatment, the reality is that I will never fully recover.”
She added: “These injuries have had a devastating effect on my daily life. As a mother my hands are essential for nearly every aspect of their care.
“Simple tasks that I once took for granted, such as preparing meals, helping with homework, bathing, and dressing my children, have become excruciatingly painful or, in many cases, impossible.”
She has praised officers from the Met for saving her life: “I would like to express my deepest gratitude to officers at Peckham Police Station for their swift and heroic actions in saving my life. Their professionalism and bravery during an incredibly difficult time will forever be remembered,” she said.
And added: “A special thanks goes to Simone Kidd, the investigator, who worked tirelessly on the case. Her dedication, attention to detail, and perseverance ensured that justice has been served in the case of the attempted murder against me. Thanks to her and the team’s hard work I can move forward knowing that those responsible have been held accountable.
“This has been a challenging journey but I am overwhelmed with gratitude for the support I have received from the Met. I hope this serves as a reminder of the incredible work the Met do in serving the community. Their bravery in the line of duty is a testament to the values they uphold in protecting our community.”
Detective Inspector Andy Kinkead said: “This shocking case demonstrates the dedication and professionalism of the Metropolitan Police Service, from those attending the scene to the detectives who built the case.
“Officers have continued to provide expert support to the family during this extremely upsetting time.”
The sentence comes as the Met continues to deliver its New Met for London Plan, which includes a focus on tackling violence against women and girls. As part of the strategy, the Met has placed an extra 565 people into specialist teams to prioritise this critical work and target perpetrators.
DC Simone Kidd, who was the investigating officer said: “I want to commend the victim for her bravery and for supporting this investigation to a positive outcome. I sincerely hope she can now move forward.”
Victorious received a sentence of life imprisonment with a minimum term of eighteen years, the judge said in their sentencing remarks.
This means he must serve the minimum term before being considered for parole and will remain on licence for the rest of his life.
























