Plans to build a £350million life sciences hub with offices by London Bridge have been approved by Southwark Council.
The project, from Guy’s & St Thomas’ Foundation and Oxford Snowsfields Development Limited, will see three new buildings constructed at Snowsfields Quarter in London Bridge and West Bermondsey Ward.
The council’s Planning Committee gave the plans the green light during a meeting last Tuesday (October 14).
Altogether the project will deliver 360,000 square feet of multi-functional space, including 245,000 sq ft of laboratory facilities for research into fields such as medical technology, genetics and neuroscience.
The development is being delivered across three plots, known as Plot 1, Plot 2 and Plot 3, and will be located next door to Guy’s Hospital and sits within SC1 London – which is South Central London’s health and life sciences innovation district.



Plot 1 is located to the west of Kipling Street which is currently home to a pub called The Miller and a cluster of shops which has single storey residential accommodation located above it.
The buildings will all be demolished to deliver a new six-storey building which will include space for life science labs and offices. The basement, ground and first floor will feature a pub while a rooftop plant enclosure has also been proposed.
Plot 2, located to the east of Kipling Street, is currently home to an eight-storey car park which will be demolished to deliver a 15-storey building that will include a reception, café and ‘Science on Display’ public atrium at ground floor.
The remainder of the building will be used for life science labs and office space and will include showers and changing facilities.
Plot 3, also located in the same area, is currently home to a three-storey c-shaped block. Once demolished, a part two, part four and part seven-storey building will be constructed in its place and will feature commercial and more life science space.
The building will also feature a two-storey basement and two café/retail units at ground floor.
During last week’s meeting, Laurie Lee, CEO of Guy’s & St Thomas’ Foundation, said the development will benefit Southwark residents and local people in “many ways”.
Mr Lee said: “All of us will potentially benefit from the health research conducted here, SC1 is about inclusive growth and Snowsfields Quarter will inspire and train the next generation of scientists.
“[The project will deliver] 890 accessible jobs including for Southwark residents, [which is] a significant contribution to Southwark Council’s target of 3,000 life science jobs and to the London Growth Plan’s Inclusive Talent Strategy.”
He added: “The development will generate nine times more economic activity, increasing footfall for local businesses and business rates for the council, and we will improve the local park, biodiversity, the streetscape and security in Hamilton Square.”
During the public consultation stage, the plans received 127 responses, consisting of 110 objections, 15 comments of support and two neutral responses.
Objections included concerns about the safety of the proposed labs and the research being done there, as well as the development being “out of keeping” with the area’s existing character.
There were also objections over the loss of the car park, which currently provides parking for a specialist cancer facility, including services for people who travel long distances from around the country and those who are too vulnerable or unable to travel by public transport.
However in response, planning officers said the existing Controlled Parking Zone, paid parking, and Blue Badge parking spaces provide “adequate parking opportunities” for people.
During last week’s meeting, We Love Snowsfields, a community group which represents Snowsfields residents, spoke out against the plans.
A group member said: “The community believes nobody is listening to our concerns about construction traffic, building height and essential mitigation works that we’ve spent the last two years working on.
“Construction will definitely create noise, air pollution, high winds, loss of light and privacy, [and will] damage the health of vulnerable residents and neighbours in Hamilton Square estate.”
They added: “This application doesn’t just intimidate our elderly residents, huge numbers of heavy, diesel-polluting, construction trucks in our medieval streets also will endanger young parents and children going to the Arc Nursery and Snowsfields Primary.
“It’s all pain and no gain for this community. Like you, the local community wants to see this site well-developed – but properly. We expect it to respect the plan, and we expect you to honour this, this evening.”
The plans were ultimately approved by the Planning Committee.
The council is expected to receive more than £400,000 in Section 106 money, which will go towards improvements to Guy Street Park, while over £500,000 will be spent on environmental works to a neighbouring estate.





















